Friday, March 26, 2010

My Favorite Pancake Recipe

Buttermilk is not a staple that I keep in my fridge, but I do buy it for certain recipes (most recently Irish Soda Bread).  I had some leftover, so what better way to use up extra buttermilk than for pancakes?  I found this recipe a couple years back and it's become my favorite.  The pancakes come out so light and moist that you don't even need to put butter on them -just a couple drizzles of pure maple syrup (which, by the way is good for you!) and you're all set.

I prefer blueberries in my pancakes, but you could substitute anything you have on hand (nuts, chocolate chips, bananas) or just eat them plain.  This batch had fresh blueberries and chopped pecans. Here is how I made them (with a few substitutions):

Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
adapted from Epicurious
Ingredients
1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons Splenda
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup each fresh blueberries and chopped pecans
Pure maple syrup

To keep the pancakes warm: Preheat oven to 250°F. Place baking sheet in oven.
Whisk first 4 ingredients in large bowl. Whisk buttermilk, eggs, and 2 tablespoons butter in medium bowl; stir into dry ingredients.  If mixture is too dry, add some more buttermilk; if too wet, add some more flour.  Fold in berries and pecans. [If using frozen berries, drop the blueberries into each pancake rather than folding in]. 
Heat large nonstick griddle or skillet over medium heat; spray with Pam.  Drop batter by 1/3 cupfuls onto griddle.  Cook pancakes until brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to sheet in oven to keep warm.  Serve pancakes with maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment