Monday, March 15, 2010

Irish Soda Bread

There is nothing better than homemade bread, but the thought of making it might be a little intimidating.  Such is not the case for soda bread, which is made with baking soda and baking powder and therefore is more like a quick bread than a regular yeast bread.  I have always been a fan of soda bread, but did not know the extent of how delicious it can be until I made it from scratch last year.  I cut off a little piece to try when it was still warm and eventually found myself eating half the loaf.  The same thing happened this year - I guess it's going to be an annual St. Patrick's Day tradition.   

The recipe I use can be found here.   The only thing I changed was I used 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup all purpose flour.

Here is what it looks like before going into the oven:


 And here is the final product.  The crusty top is the best part!



No comments:

Post a Comment