Friday, May 21, 2010

New Oven!

So...I am very happy to report that I got a new oven and microwave!  [It's a little pathetic that this is what I get excited about, but it's true].  The oven is a dual-fuel, so it's a gas range with an electric convection oven.  It was quite a project getting it installed, especially since our old oven was all gas.  We didn't realize it would be a problem until the delivery people brought it up (3 flights of stairs) and saw that we didn't have the correct outlet to connect the oven.  Luckily, our electrician was able to come in and remedy the problem and now it's up and running! 

Of course I had to test it out immediately, but since it was already pretty late, I did not want to make anything too elaborate.  I had these beautiful blackberries in the fridge, so I decided to make a blackberry cobbler/crisp.  It was probably the best I have ever made.... and I am convinced it was all the oven's doing!
Blackberry Crisp
serves 6-8
1 1/2 cup blackberries 
1/4-1/2 cup walnuts
1 cup Splenda
sprinkle of brown sugar
1 stick melted butter
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp vanilla
pinch of kosher salt

Preheat oven to 350.  Spread out blackberries evenly on bottom of 9in glass pie pan.  Roughly chop walnuts (I just broke by hand) and place in between berries.  Mix together the remaining ingredients and place on top of berries.  Bake for about 40 minutes.  Try to hold off from eating it all in one sitting! 

This dish is great served warm by itself or with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream on top.  I have been enjoying it cold with a dollop of plain yogurt on the side for breakfast!

Oh, and how could I forget to include a picture of my new baby!  Sorry it's a little blurry, but you get the picture...

No comments:

Post a Comment