Friday, May 7, 2010

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

I am always looking for new muffin recipes.  Muffins to me are the perfect breakfast when you are on the go.  They also freeze and defrost well, so I can make a batch and not have to worry about them going stale before we finish them.  I found this recipe on the internet when I was looking for something to make with leftover ripe bananas (I was not in the mood for traditional banana bread).  I don't remember now where I found this recipe, but after a couple tweaks and healthy additions, it has become a favorite of mine and my husband's.

Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
3 ripe bananas
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup plus 1 tbsp melted butter
½ cup Splenda
¼ cup brown sugar
1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
pinch of salt 
¾ cup chocolate chips
3 tbsp flax seeds

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  
Grease a 12 cup muffin tin with butter or baking spray.
Cut bananas into a large bowl and mash with a fork.  Add in the egg, vanilla and melted butter.  Add the sugars and combine.  In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Add to bowl and combine.  Gently mix in chocolate chips and flax seeds - do not overmix or the muffins will be tough. 
Divide the batter between the 12 cups and bake for approx 20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment