Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Indian Egg Curry

 
I love Indian flavors, and am always looking to incorporate them into my cooking.  Sometimes I find recipes that look good but require too many ingredients that I don't have.  But when I stumbled across this recipe and realized find the only extra ingredient I had to buy was tumeric, I wanted to give it a try.  I was also intrigued by the sound of this dish.  Hard-boiled eggs in a curry?  I couldn't imagine what it would be like.  Both my husband and I liked this dish very much.  The eggs held their flavor and provided a creaminess to the dish. I served it over brown basmati rice and had plenty of leftovers for lunch!

Egg Curry
adapted from Honey, What's Cooking?
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp tumeric powder
1 inch piece ginger, grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 jalepenos, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
6 hardboiled eggs, peeled
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup sour cream
3/4 tsp garam masala
2 handfuls cilantro, chopped
salt to taste

Directions:
1. Heat pot on stove under medium heat.  Add olive oil and mustard seeds.
2. Once seeds start to pop, add cumin and tumeric.  Saute for 10 secs.
3. Add ginger, garlic, and jalepenos. Saute 30 secs.
4. Add onions and some salt.  Stir and allow the onions to become golden, about 10 minutes, stirring every so often.
5. Once onions are golden, add tomatoes, chili powder, coriander, and a little more salt. Stir to combine. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes until the onions and tomatoes become a paste consistency.  Stir every so often.  Here is where I added the sour cream (not in original recipe).
6. Add water and lower the heat. Cut the eggs in half and add to curry. Stir gently to combine. 
7. Cover and let cook 15 more minutes.
8. Turn off stove and add garam masala and cilantro.  Add salt to taste.
9. Serve on its own or over rice. Add hot sauce if you would like!

No comments:

Post a Comment