Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Banana Cream Pie!

Looking for something super delicious and easy to make for the holiday weekend?  Look no further than this recipe.  I made it for my dad on Father's Day because he is fond of bananas and cream (who isn't?).  And just when you thought it couldn't get any better it does - by adding a peanut butter crust.  
Here is the recipe.  And yes, it is as easy to make as it is to eat.
Banana Cream Pie with Peanut Butter Crust
Here is what you need:
1 package peanut butter sandwich cookies, such as Nutter Butters (I used a brand called Back to Nature which can be found at Whole Foods)
5 tablespoons melted butter
3 bananas
2 boxes vanilla instant pudding mix
2 cans cold evaporated milk, lowfat is fine
a lot of whipped cream (I make mine by combining heavy cream, Splenda and vanilla in my whipped cream maker)

Here is what you do:
Add the entire package of cookies to a food processor and pulse until fine crumbs are formed.  (You may also put in a big ziplock bag and form crumbs with a rolling pin).
Combine crumbs with melted butter and push into the bottom of 9in glass pie plate to form a crust.
Bake this at 350 for about 6-8 minutes until golden.  Be careful not to overbake.  
Let crust cool.  Make pudding by adding milk to pudding mix and stir (I could not believe how easy this part was; I had no idea).  
Slice up bananas and place on top of cooled crust.  Pour pudding on top of that. Cover and Refrigerate. 
When ready to serve, top with whipped cream.  
Resist the urge to smash into someone's face (although I don't think I would mind that!).
Happy Independence Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment